Rotary E-Club San Diego Global
Attending: Jim Willis, Vicki Willis, Marian Pavlovich, Scot Sargeant, Alan Rezner, Maureen Duncan, Amy Vegter, Felipe Razo, Janet Mickelson, Jim and Gaye Dorcy, Maxie Gluckman, David Ballesteros, Claudia Torres, Enrique Velasco
Marian opened the meeting with a welcome and a list of announcements:
- She started with an introduction of one of our international members, Enrique Velasco from Rancho Cucamonga up in the LA area. He works and travels as an executive for a company that provides drinking water both in Mexico and the US. He drove down today from LA specifically to attend our meeting and to meet our members.
Enrique became involved in Rotary 7 years ago as a Rotaractor in Tijuana through District 4100 and joined Rotary last year by joining our club. He has attended a district conference as a guest speaker. He and Amy Shrift (from Costa Rica) will be voting delegates for our club at the upcoming Rotary Convention in Atlanta.
- Scot Sargeant has been published in the June edition of the Rotary magazine for coming in second in the annual Rotary photography contest. Photo was taken in Quito, Ecuador and judged by renowned photographer, Steve McCurry. Congratulations Scot!
- Our newest member, Dr Claudia Torres, reported that she observed surgeries at Rady’s Childrens Hospital in San Diego performed through an organization called “Fresh Start Surgical Gifts” which provided a presentation to us last month. By attending and meeting people involved, Claudia has been in contact with physicians performing surgery from the Fresh Start Clinic at Rady’s Children Hospital. Through our e-club contacts with physicians in Ecuador our club plans to initiate a relationship and cooperation between the two groups.
- Maxie’s event was a success! Baila para la Causa 2.0 on May 13th at the World Beat Cultural Center in Balboa Park was an evening of fun and dance for a fantastic cause! All proceeds were used to help fund our Train for Change Teacher Training global grant in Honduras.
- Our next post to our website will be coming from Amy Shrift from Costa Rica.
- Our Grant for Ecuador Earthquake Relief is in process. Training for beneficiaries has begun. President of Manta Club has proposed a future skype meeting with our club.
- Rotary Padres Night Game 5/30 and 7/30. Per Marian short notice on 5/30 game but maybe we can get a crowd from the club for the 7/30 game
- 6/2-7/4 Del Mar Fair Rotary Toy Collection: sponsored by Torrey Pines Rotary Club; looking for volunteers to work shifts at the booth. Free entry to fair by working a shift.
- 9/23/17 Foundation Seminar
- 7/22/17 Membership Seminar
Our Treasurer Amy Vetger announced that dues are coming up and should be paid prior to July 1st. Due are $200 per year with the option to pay $100 in this billing cycle.
Honorary member Amanda Roussell will be presenting a Kenya Peace Program June 14th meeting.
Marian will be sending out a survey to all members regarding feedback and satisfaction of our club members with programs and running of the club.
President-elect Maxie Gluckman announced that her Global Grant “Train for Change” has been approved. She is sending thank you notes to all the clubs that have donated. A discussion regarding the benefits of using District newsletter was held with an affirmation that we would start using it.
Presentation: Jim Willis, longtime Rotarian Farewell address. We celebrated his 40th year of service. For his full presentation please log onto facebook.
Jim’s father was a member of the Lions Club which influenced his awareness of service clubs.
Jim joined Rotary through the Kearney Mesa Club in 1978. Back then it took him 10 years to get his first Paul Harris. Jim explained the different pins you can obtain as you continue to get a Paul Harris and become a sustaining member by contributing $1000 for each one. He also explained that if you can contribute to the Rotary Foundation by becoming a benefactor and pledge $10,000 to Rotary.
One of his points was the importance of contributing to The Rotary Foundation as members of a club because the money that is matched becomes available to clubs for grants is the result of those contributions.
Jim also was a member of the Mission Bay Rotary Club before joining our e-Club.
A very good presentation from a great Rotarian. Jim has always been generous with his time and efforts to support the different clubs he has been a member of.
Marian proposed a Honorary Membership to Jim which he is considering.